Is there any such thing as a truly pleasurable night’s sleep? You know. It’s the kind of sleep that makes you feel like you’ve been riding a cloud and you don’t want to get off when your alarm sounds. I think I have more of those, than not. The truth is I probably get more sleep than the average person.
A healthy sleep pattern can promote a healthy body. Some studies have found that obesity can be related to poor sleep habits, in addition to other factors.
According to research, adults need between 7-9 hours of sleep daily (2017) in order to feel fully functional and rested. I’m usually in bed by 9 pm and I awake at 6 am, so I’m getting about 9 hours per day. My husband says it seems like I sleep 10-12 hours per day…not true. That may be due to the fact that I will fall asleep on the couch for about an hour (power nap), wake up for a while, and go right back to sleep at my normal time of 9 pm. Hey! It’s called beauty rest!
There are times, however, when sleep isn’t as easy and that can be a direct result of the kind of day I have. Stressful work days require that I come home and pamper myself in order to relax before bedtime.
I often use a combination of these tips to help me relax and achieve a quality night’s rest:
- A bath or shower is a must daily. However, you can go the extra mile with a special luxury bath on nights that you feel really anxious and not relaxed enough for a restful sleep. My special bath includes candles of varying sizes. I especially love candles that crackle as the wick burns. Your lux bath must include bubbles or bath beads to soften the water. If you feel sore from a hard workout or lots of moving or standing from work, use Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt mix for baths. It’s heavenly and it pulls soreness from tired muscles. Finally, top off your lux bath with soft, jazzy music and a bath tub pillow.
- There’s something special about a soothing drink and a great book to help relax and ease your mind. Now, some of us may choose a soothing drink that contains alcohol like a chilled glass of our favorite wine, or a soothing cup of warm tea or coffee. The choice is yours. Most of us want to read a good book but we just can’t find the time to do so. My answer to that is Audible. Just listen! Charge your headphones and choose a chapter or two.
- What better way to relax and unwind than with an evening massage. I don’t know about you guys but a few strokes of my back and neck by my spouse after a long day puts me right to sleep. Schedule it! Call or text him or her and let them know their hands are needed, tonight! Make it a date for relaxation. If you don’t have a spouse, schedule a personal masseuse to come to your place. The good ones make house calls, so make sure it’s someone you have a relationship with and you trust.
- Exercise is another great way to get a restful night’s sleep. Exerting a large amount of energy will usually leave a person really tired so they sleep very soundly. However, I have experienced this working opposite at times so know thyself. Sometimes, a great workout has me wired up!
- Last but not least is sex! We all know it’s true. Great sex can really “put a spell on ya!” Sex is one of the best relaxation techniques. Be creative with your spouse or significant other. Communicate your needs and go in with the goal of pleasure of relaxation! I’d couple this tip with tip #1 to really make it a great night of sex and sleep…?
I hope these tips help you sleep better so that you can be happy and productive as you start your day. Remember, it’s up to you to take an initiative to improve your wellness. Just thinking about it gets nothing accomplished.
Share your rituals for a wonderful’s night’s rest.
Be well, rest well.